> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Deck Strength
Login | Register

Deck Strength

Posted by BobB on January 2nd, 2002 08:32 AM
In reply to 5/4 are one problem by Steve: on December 30th, 2001 06:54 PM [Go to top of thread]

1 of 1 people found this post helpful

Steve, I would appreciate your opinion as a deck professional. I've been thinking about putting one of those 7 foot square 375 gallon hot tubs on my deck in 2002, and I'd like to know if the deck will be adequate.
The deck is build on 4 by 4 posts set in concrete 40 inches into the ground. The posts are on 8 foot centers, and the deck is self supporting, independant of the house. There are sixteen posts in a square array, and the deck is 24 feet on each side. The header boards are pressure treated 2x8's fastened to both sides of the 4x4's with carriage bolts. the joists are treated 2x6's on approx. 14 in centers ( whatever it took to make the spacing even and less than 16 in centers ) . The deck surface is pressure treated 2x6 and was fastened with those galvanized spiral nails that are almost impossible to remove ( before the days of deck screws ). Where I would like to place the tub is near the house and there is not sufficient grond clearance to get underneath and do any reinforcement (about 12 to 18 inches). The deck has been well maintained and is in like new condition.
I would appreciate any guidance, and you may feel free to e-mail me with any questions.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC