> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Deck
Login | Register

Posted by Steve: on May 23rd, 2001 10:53 PM
In reply to Wobbly Deck Stairs and When to Waterproof by TracyO on May 23rd, 2001 06:14 PM [Go to top of thread]

First, what is the deck made of: redwood, cedar, or PT wood?
I always tell customers that no need to put any sealer on until the wood totally dries out. Here in Texas during the summers, that should be about 60 days. Then I tell them that sealer is not needed anyway unless they just want to do it. These three lumbers are ok for outside left alone.

I always recommend using CWF-UV from the Flood Company, or any exterior wood treatment from the Wolman Company. Thompson's is not any good at all.

Your steps. How long are the steps in lenght. I always use one stringer every three feet max. I sister the stringers to the deck end board and attach them to sunken posts in the ground on the front. then I attach each stringer to one another with a 2x6 to stop side ways swing. I always have my treads out of 2x6 material. I attach supports to each stringer from the bottom of the tread to the ground for additional support.

I imagine that you need to add supports like in exterior walls in your home called fire supports. this brings everything together.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC