> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Dazed And Confused ...
Login | Register

Dazed And Confused ...

Posted by Jay J on April 8th, 1999 08:15 AM
In reply to My 2 Cents by drhome on April 7th, 1999 04:57 PM [Go to top of thread]

Moderator Post:
> I am guessing by Handyman on 06/23/2009

... Not sure what you mean when you say, "Jay J has me confused on that one also." (I didn't read that 'someone else' was confused as well as you.)

At any rate, aside from being confused, let me define what I've just learned what a mulcher mower is: A mulch mower cuts the grass and cycles the blades repeatedly under the mower housing until they're small/mulched enough to be 'thrown down' by the centrifugal force of the blade.

You have never owned a mower that was not a mulcher so 1) I don't know how long you've been cutting grass, and 2) perhaps your definition/understanding of a mulcher is different than what I know/understand. That's Ok!!! Assuming you've been cutting grass for as long as I have, say for about 25 years, I use to cut grass where I either bagged it or sent it out a side or rear chute. Now, just because a mower cuts grass and sends out a chute (or into a basket) doesn't make the mower a mulch-mower. When cutting grass that's 3-4" high with a mulch mower, you COULD be easily misled into thinking the cut grass was bagged when, in fact, it was mulched. At the same time, if you cut grass that's 3-4" high with a non-mulching, side or rear chute mower, the cut grass lays on TOP of the lawn. Hence, one would see the obvious difference between a mulching mower and a non-mulching mower. If you are operating a mulch-mower and are bagging it at the same time, the grass cuttings are NOT mulched when they enter the bag. They are simply 'thrown' into the bag when cut. And conversely, when you're operating a mulch mower WITHOUT a bag, the grass clippings are able to continue 'cycling' in the mower housing until they're mulched because there's no way for them to 'drop down' from underneath the mower until they're mulched. (Whew!!!) This is what a landscaper told me this morning, and this is what my Ariens dealer told me (who I didn't speak to for 5 years). In short, you can still buy a non-mulching mower. And, you can buy a mulch mower that won't mulch as long as you use the catch bag.

I'm not trying to beat my 'clarification' into ya but like I said, I'm not sure what it is that you or perhaps anyone else for that matter is 'confused' about. Mulch mowers have been out for years so your statement that you've never owned a non-mulching mower is correct. But, at the same time, if your understanding of what a mulch mower is, or does, is different from what I've just learned (and have known only for the past 5 years), I'm sure it you speak to a landscaper or a dealer you'll be as 'enlightened' as I have. My best to ya and hope you are not confused any more that you say you are. :-)

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

• OOPS by drhome  4/8/99 04:20 PM

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC