> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Danger, Danger, Will Robinson!
Login | Register

Danger, Danger, Will Robinson!

Posted by Mongo on June 26th, 2001 12:11 AM
In reply to Need electrical advice.... by Steve: on June 19th, 2001 04:33 PM [Go to top of thread]

"Well I found the fan had a white, green, black and a black and white. The home had a green, black, white, and red. I hooked up the green to green, black to black and white to white and black and white to the red. Nothing happened."

Your error was connecting the white (neutral) to the black and red (both hot power)...YIKES!

Green is ground.

White is neutral.

Black and red are power/HOT.

You most likely have two hot leads (black and red) so that the fan's lights and the fan itself can be controlled by different two switches instead of having to use a pull chain.

In a perfect world if the person who did the wiring did it correctly...

Connect green to green. This completes your ground.

Connect the single white in the ceiling box to the two whites from the fan. You have two whites if you have a fan and a light kit...if no light kit, then you'll just have a single white for the fan, so then you'd just connect white to white.

Connect black to the black. This powers either the fan or the light kit. Typically the fan, but it could be the lights.

Connect the other black in the box to the red from the fan. This will control either the fan or the light kit. Typically the light kit, but it could be the fan.

There should be a wall box somewhere...most likely with a single black (power IN) entering from one side, and both a red and black (power OUT for fan and light) going out.

Pigtail the black power IN and connect one pigtial to the switch for the light and the other pigtail to the switch for the fan. One black power OUT wire gets connected to one switch...the other red power out wire gets connected to the other switch.

Once it's all wired correctly, turn the switches on. One should turn the lights on...if the lights don;t turn on, give the light pull chain a tug with the switch in both positions.

The other switch should turn the fan on. If the fan doesn't turn on, give the pull chain a tug with the switch in both positions.

Before doing any work, turn off the breaker and use a tester to ensure that ALL wires are dead.

If you still don't get it, e-mail me and I'll send you a diagram. You've gotten some bad advice on this careful.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC