> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Dan O. - Question that's up your alley....
Login | Register

Dan O. - Question that's up your alley....

Posted by David on February 3rd, 2003 07:46 PM

Hi Dan, Thought you might have some ideas for me on a strange power usage problem.

Last month my electric bill was $124; about average for me. This month it is $275; double my usage for that month last year, and way out of norm. I read my own meter, and double checked, so the usage was actual, not a mistake. I've had the meter checked, and it was correct. So, something electrical in my home has gone berserk, but I haven't been able to determine what just yet.

I have a new fridge, which I know from watching has reduced my usage substantially; so it's ruled out.

I have a newer, high efficiency HVAC, and it's also ruled out, because the gas usage last month did not also go crazy; it was up some from the previous month, but nothing unusual.

Nothing I did last month was out of the ordinary, no heavy cooking or anything else different that would explain the meter trying to spin off the wall. I do have a couple suspect items, my spa heater and my water garden pump, but neither one actually displays anything which would point to them.

What I'd first thought of doing was hooking up hour meters on some items, but better and more universal would be a usage meter; something which plugged into a receptacle, and kept a record of the power consumption of whatever you plugged into the meter.

Dan, is there such an animal, and are they reasonably priced? I'd like to get several if they aren't too terrible, and find the beast before it kills me.

Thanks for any ideas!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC