> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Crumbling Basement Walls
Login | Register

Crumbling Basement Walls

Posted by Dave on April 5th, 2003 11:27 PM
In reply to Crumbling Basement Walls. by Jack Masters on February 4th, 2000 08:48 AM [Go to top of thread]

My wife and I just bought my Grandmothers house. The price was well below market value so we didn't "look a gif horse in the mouth". The whole house is very old with the back half built circa 1880 and the front addition maybe 40 years later. The front is a half dug out crawlspace and the back has a block foundation. An annoyance of the house is that it was built on a slight slope (maybe 2 degrees lenghtwise) and the foundation is not right so the whole house slopes the same. The main problem is the whole south side of the back portion of the foundation is showing signs of damage. The cinder blocks, or what ever they are, are starting to crumble above the ground line and the mortar has deteriorated. It looks like it has been patched a few times and there's what looks like some kind of thick paint on the inside. The whole basement has the smell of an old house. There aren't any leaks but I'm sure in a few years there could be. My big question is how am I going to repair this? I know I will need to dig up the south side of the foundation down past the footer, put down a drainage pipe, crushed gravel and backfill with sand. Is it possible to break out the damaged blocks and cement in new blocks? Also is the slope of the house a concern. From what my Grandmother says, it's been sloped like that since they bought it 50 years ago. Then again maybe it was a bit sloped then and the gradual shift over 50 years went unnoticed.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC