> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Crown moulding for for kitchen cabinets. Melamine vs. painted wood.
Login | Register

Crown moulding for for kitchen cabinets. Melamine vs. painted wood.

Posted by David Jensen on July 13th, 2000 06:42 AM

1 of 1 people found this post helpful

I am nearly ready to order the cabinets for my new home. I am planning on buying them thru Home Depot with their new Thomasville line. I would like to buy crown moulding for the top and the other moulding they put around the bottom perameter of the cabinets. There are two issues here. First, the cabinets I am using are an antique white distressed look with a frost glaze on them. The crown moulding they sell for these cabinets is a melamine covered moulding and don't offer it in the same antique white true wood with glaze. I am concerned that it might not match the cabinets well (they don't have any to look at in the store). The other major problem is that they charge for this melamine covered moulding as if *** **** himself had autographed it. Just adding top and bottom of cabinet moulding on my medium kitchen adds $1,000 to the price (15% of the cost)!!! Thus my questions are several. Do you those of you with a decorating eye think it would look OK to use regular painted (by me)wood moulding on the type of cabinets I've described? There is no way I could exactly duplicate the look of these cabinets. Would it be better to try to paint it as close in color as possible or use a slight contrast for effect? Does anyone know a cheaper source for melamine crown in case I had to go that route? What is that trim called that they frequently use on the bottom parimeter of kitchen cabinets? Is there another web site where it would be more appropriate to post these questions? Any other ideas or thoughts would be appreciated.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC