> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Crown molding coping tip
Login | Register

Crown molding coping tip

Posted by Mark Malson on November 9th, 1998 11:44 PM

Since I posted a question, the least I can do is post a tip too...

To cope inside corners, I made a jig containing a small (6") piece of my crown molding, a "wall" and a "ceiling". The molding is mounted inside exactly the way it would be on the wall. The "wall" and "ceiling" extend off to the sides exactly the width of a mounted piece of molding on the adjacent "wall". So I can place the jig upright on my workbench, stick the end of the piece of molding to be coped under it, lift it up into place at the proper angle, and look down the 6" piece to show the outline of the cut on the other piece. Then I take a pencil and carefully trace the line.

After I take the molding out of the jig, I can cock my head and look at that line off at an angle until it becomes a straight line (it will if you drew it right) and then do the compound miter cut with a back saw. It helps to cock your head while you're sawing, using the line as a guide.

I know this is a really amateur way of doing it, but I don't have a compound miter saw and with a little practice you'll understand the angles and it'll be pretty easy...

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC