> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Crown molding
Login | Register

Crown molding

Posted by Jack Schmidt on April 27th, 2000 11:03 PM
In reply to Help with Crown Moldings by John on January 16th, 2000 02:24 PM [Go to top of thread]

Steve, Crown molding is very simple if you use a mitre saw. I usually work right to left because it is easy to cope the joint hanging out over the right of the saw. First, I take a sample piece of the molding and put it on the wall/ceiling like it will set when installed. I measure the distance down the wall it will set and the distance it will hit the ceiling. I then take a piece of wood and make a jig that fits these marks. I then pencil in a line along the top (ceiling) and the wall. This gives me a straight line to follow. The first piece I put up with straight cuts. Don't forget to installit on the lines drawn. The next Piece I put in the saw like it is setting on the wall. I realize that it is setting on an angle but you can cut it carefully. The mitre saw should be turned 45 degrees to the left. The molding bottom is against the fence and the top is facinng toward you. Cut your angle and this gives you a coping line to follow. A lot of guys use a coping saw but I have found it easier to use a jig saw and cut it that way. It takes a while to get use to this method but it does work. I install approximately 300 to 500 feet per week in trimming out houses. My joints are tight and the painters usually tel me that it is great to follow me becuase they do not have to caulk.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC