> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Creative Basement Ceiling Suggestions
Login | Register

Creative Basement Ceiling Suggestions

Posted by Andrew in NY on December 5th, 2001 02:41 PM

1 of 2 people found this post helpful

I am considering finishing a portion of my basement so that I can finally set-up my pool table. The previous owner had framed walls against the poured foundation walls, and covered with cheap paneling. I intend to remove the paneling, re-wire for outlets and wall lights (sconces), then install drywall and maybe some beadboard paneling.

My dliemna is the ceiling. I do not really want to drywall the ceiling, as I would like to have some sort of access to wiring and plumbing for the first floor. However, I want to stay away from the typical suspended ceiling acoustical tiles. My wife would like to have some sort of ceilieng lights, but I believe that I could get away with just the wall lights, and perhaps a hanging fixture over the pool table.

Some thoughts I have had include screwing large barn board planks to the joists with large, easily removed decorative screws, or hanging a canvas type of fabric and supporting it every few joists with some sort of rod setup.

A side note: there are probably 2-3 electrical junction boxes mounted to ceiling joists that would be difficult, if not impossible to remove without rewiring some of the upstairs. I am not sure if that affects my ceiling options, as I do not believe I should have those boxes (even with covers) behing a fixed ceiling.

Anyway, if anyone has any creative ideas, I would love to hear them!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC