> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > crawlspace
Login | Register

Posted by rubyroo on February 12th, 2003 03:11 AM
In reply to damp crawl space by tj on February 11th, 2003 06:26 PM [Go to top of thread]

I have a crawl space too. Although mine is not damp I looked into ways of dealing with the space because I was interested in,"insulation". I came across an article that talked about the dampness and a musty smell that would come into the house from a damp crawl space.
They suggested to vapour barrier the underside of the floor between the joists and then filling the space with the most insulation you could fit in without packing it tightly.
They also suggested that the inside of the cement walls to be coated with a waterproofing material and the ground to be covered with the highest grade of vapour barrier there is. (The reason being the regular plastic barrier had micro pores and allowed mosture to pass through.
Part of my basement is about 7 feet high to allow for waterheater,pump,oil tank and hot air furnace. I mention this because one of the furnace ducts blows into the crawl space. I think the previous owner did this to ward off the dampness. Good luck with your project, I'm waiting for the spring to start mine.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC