> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > crawl spaces
Login | Register

crawl spaces

Posted by boots harrold on June 20th, 2001 09:36 PM
In reply to Crawl space gets wet. by Stegve on June 13th, 2001 07:59 AM [Go to top of thread]

Steve and Jay-
Thanks for the advice. My problem is I have a colonial house with no eves and the 7 crawl spaces are exposed to the open.
I have them covered with metal flashing now but it doesn't keep the rain out. The wind blows it in around it. It seems that no one knows what to put over them. I thought about using the plastic or metal sheeting that is used for outside sheds and extending it 2 feet on each side. I would attach them with hinges under the clap board so I could raise the to mow and to get inside.
I was raised in Florida and my father was a builder and in the old days we did not put insulation under the houses. The insulation is sagging and it will have to be taken out. No one wants to take it out. I am trying to preserve that that isnt sagging.I used a squarrl cage fan to dry it out last year as well as another large fan. I understand that many frame houses have dehumidifiers under them but they are put in when they are built. My house is 4000 sq feet of wood flooring including the deck in the garage.
If you have any suggestions please I am open. We are beginning to get our rains and I expect a rough hurrican season.
Thanks to both of you

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC