> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > crawl space plastic
Login | Register

crawl space plastic

Posted by Grasshopper on December 9th, 2002 11:13 AM
In reply to crawl space plastic by Nancy Anderson on December 9th, 2002 10:03 AM [Go to top of thread]

I suggest monitoring the % Relative Humidity during the spring,summer, and fall. I suspect the %RH is 80-90% when the outside dew points are high. After a couple days of high crawlspace humidity levels and cool floor temperatures, mold grows on the cool damp floor. Call your utility and report the mold growth and ask for a solution to high humidity in the crawlspace. I feel they are liable for their advice. I suggest you reduce the moisture level in the crawlspace by coving all the earth to the walls with plastic. This stops the moisture from evaporating from the bare earth. Also close the vents when the outdoor dewpoints are high to stop moisture from entering. If you keep you home dry enough, the crawlspace will dry through the floor and mold will not grow. This should be checked with a % relative humidity meter. If the relative humidity is +60% for an extended time, you need dehumidification. Grasshopper excepts no liability for the advice. Watch the relative meter. Less than 60% RH at the surfaces assures no mold growth. Healthy Home is company in Atlanta that focuses on mold control in basements and crawlspaces

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC