> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Crawl space gets wet.
Login | Register

Crawl space gets wet.

Posted by Stegve on June 13th, 2001 07:59 AM
In reply to crawl space covers by Boots Harrold on June 12th, 2001 11:22 PM [Go to top of thread]

1 of 4 people found this post helpful

How does that much water get under the house to warp the floors? Is a puddle draining into through the crawl space? Maybe from water from the roof?

I have to deal with this type of problem in January when we got 6" of rain in 2 hours and an overwhelmed sewer colapsed down the street sent the water up to my front door. The crawl space windows were below that height, so the water drained like a river under my house. Since then I have done the following.

Make sure the ground water drains away from the crawl space doors, and that the roof has a gutter that moves the water away from the crawl space doors.

The surface water builds up in heavy rains, then drained into the crawl space, I build a landscape berm out from 1 of the crawl space doors to direct the water else where.

One crawl space door was lower than the rest, so I dug under the window and flashed a dry well under it so water would drain into the well, rather than into the crawl space.

I got some sand bags in case I have to stop water for an afternoon.

A little rain will always blow in given that air will always be moving through the openning. This action will also dry it out.

Now I'm waiting for another big rain to see if this worked.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC