> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Crack in newly "knockdown" ceiling
Login | Register

Crack in newly "knockdown" ceiling

Posted by Ike Ruckman on April 22nd, 2002 05:34 PM

0 of 1 people found this post helpful

Last month we had our drywall finished and "knockdown" applied to our ceiling. This weekend I went into my crawl space to replace some rotted shims under my main beam and found that 2 of the 3 sandwiched 2x8's were completely rotted at the end. I found that the outside spiggot had been leaking and had been the source of the problem. I poured 2 concrete pads on each side of the beam and put floor jacks with 4x4's on each side of the beam to hold the floor joists up while I removed 8' of the beam. The beam replacement seemed to go great and all looks well except,,,, upon inspection of the walls and ceiling in the vicinity of the beam repair, I have 4 cracks in the walls at the top corner of a window, at the top of a beamed doorway between the two rooms, and seemingly worst of all, the newly finished "knockdown" ceiling has a 36" crack. Can this crack be repaired with paintable silicone caulk and then reprimed and repainted, or will I need to have the drywaller come back and make more drastic repairs?

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC