> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > covering brick
Login | Register

covering brick

Posted by MJ Bosley on April 4th, 2000 07:24 PM
In reply to cover the brick by N Brady on April 3rd, 2000 10:39 PM [Go to top of thread]

I recently bought a house with a whole wall of that Z-brick stuff (some call it qucik- brick) and it is the back splash to my kitchen counter. I didn't like the look of these walls as it made the rooms very very dark. Since I couldn't afford to anything costly and, in truth, I wasn't sure what I really wanted to do, I did a faux finish on the walls.

In the kitchen I lightly sponged the wall color (off white) and some neutral brick and sand colors on the brick allowing quite a bit of the brick to show through. Then I took a stencil that I had applied to part of my kitchen cabinets and stenciled various portions of the stencils at odd angles using a natural brick color. Only I only stenciled it very lightly to give the illusion that it is stenciled.

This came out so well that it inspired me to do a "wash" on the whole wall that is in my sitting room. I didn't really want to get rid of the brick because I liked the texture it provided. But I had to do something to lighten the room. I don't care for the painted brick look either. SO I took a sea-sponge and some diluted paint (off white because that is what I had on hand) and sparingly "Washed" it onto the brick. Then I wiped it off with a dry rag. It is very subtle and did wonders for lightening the room. It softened the brick yet left the texture.
Now it doesn't bother me one bit and I am glad that I left it up. Someday I will take it down....when I figure out what I REALLY want and then when I can afford it.

Good luck!!! MJ

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC