> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > countertops
Login | Register

Posted by Paul on January 14th, 2003 02:39 PM
In reply to Galvanize countertops by Jeremy on January 14th, 2003 08:39 AM [Go to top of thread]

Jeremy, I remodled an old home last year and put in a kitchen from scratch, so I looked at all the options. I am also a chef by profession. I think its ok to use galvanized metal for doors but I wouldn't want it for counter tops. It will look good at first but will not stay that way. Cleaning it is a problem becaust it reacts with acidic chemicals(like lemon juice and vinegar)and it will wear through and begin to rust just from normal use. I also dont think that it is unsafe for food preparation because it contains zinc and lead. That is of course if what you are refering to is regular galvinized sheet metal. There may be a counter top that looks like that but it made for that purpose. My suggestion for an industrial look with great performance and economy choose stainless steel. I had a backsplas mad and a small counter top next to my range fabricated by a local sheet metal shop. They did a great job and I love the look. I spent a total of $18.00 haveing that done. I hope that helps you out.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC