> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > could not find offset screwdriver shorter that 3/4" - had to drill
Login | Register

could not find offset screwdriver shorter that 3/4" - had to drill

Posted by Manny on May 30th, 2002 06:37 PM
In reply to I keep reading this post, and,,,,, by Ron J. on May 27th, 2002 06:26 AM [Go to top of thread]

Thanks Ron for your reply. It was hard to describe this with words even knowing what I wanted to explain but not knowing much about it, I guess it is much harder reading it with no idea of what I need. Thanks for trying, anyway. Let's give it another shot. I am selling my home and we will have an inspection coming up soon. I know that they will check the windows. 6 of the casement windows (EntryGard - Truth)in my home needed to have the opening operator replaced (handle and the rest of the hardware that is screwed under the bottom molding). I got hold of a company that carries this manufacturer's parts. They sold me the replacement handle and hardware and told me that the manufacturer had not given a thought to providing access to replace this hardware. It is screwed to the bottom of the window under the molding. The space between the molding and the bottom piece of wood where the hardware is screwed is only 3/4" high. I have tried offset scredrivers but the piece where the phillyps head is is too long and does not clear the opening. I got tired of looking for a tool that would fit so I ended up drilling small holes on the molding above the hardware to match with the locations of the screws below. Then I took a thin screwdriver and fit it through the hole I drilled, reached the top of the screw and was finally able to remove them and replace the hardware. I bought wood filler yesterday so I can hide the holes. There was probably an easier solution but this is what we came up with and it worked. Thanks agan, Ron.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC