> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Could Be Dangerous ...
Login | Register

Could Be Dangerous ...

Posted by Jay J on August 23rd, 1999 07:43 AM
In reply to Switched Outlet by Craig on August 22nd, 1999 04:59 PM [Go to top of thread]

I'm not kidding. Knowing what the 'tab' is on a switch or outlet is basic electrical know-how. No, I'm not an expert but I know what it is. I understand that you want to save a few $$$ on a job but electricity is an INVISIBLE hazard. Forget about saving a few buck and think about possibly saving your LIFE.

Hire a pro and when they install the switch, ask them what they're doing and what the tab is all about. At worst, buy yourself a good book and read it 3 x's. Just shutting off the breaker is sometimes not enough. Me, who knows enough to be dangerous, DID shut off a breaker and even checked the line with a meter. However, a previous homeowner STILL managed to use the neutral side as a return for another switch! Even though I THOUGHT I did the right thing, if I hadn't accidentally touched 2 leads with a screwdrive at the same time, I could have ended up who knows where! Now knowing what I know, I've marked the outlet for future reference.

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC