> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Could Be A Couple Of Woods ...
Login | Register

Could Be A Couple Of Woods ...

Posted by Jay J on June 2nd, 1998 09:07 AM
In reply to Primers and surface by Chris Procyk on June 2nd, 1998 08:43 AM [Go to top of thread]

Yes, take a piece to either a lumber yard or a sider or even a cabinet maker. If you take it to a paint store, you may get the wrong 'diagnosis'. I'd even suggest you get a couple of opinions because sometimes even the experts aren't sure. In fact, ask them if they're 100% sure!

You can even take it to the Forestry department (or the like) at the local university. They can tell what the wood is by scraping a 'clear' edge, wetting it, and using a monocular to look at the cell structure! I know. My roommate was a Forest Biology major and this was known as the 'field test'. (... what you need to do when you don't have the luxury of a laboratory in the field.)

I'll bet the exterior was NOT primed with an oil based primer. If this is the case, well, you can get a few reasons why the primer/paint won't stick. If you need more, post up. When you have all your answers, please post a follow-up (SUCCESS!) and let us all know how you made out.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC