> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > correct wiring
Login | Register

correct wiring

Posted by andi on October 14th, 2000 01:50 PM
In reply to electrical outlets by Jay McC:ain on October 14th, 2000 12:26 PM [Go to top of thread]

i am not a certified electrician. there are a few things i can take a stab at, though. if you have a dead short in your light circuit the power can surge and the bulb will act like a breaker and blow. been there. could also be a loose conection/ bad switch/ bad outlet/ bad light fixture/ wing nut that fell off inside the fixture, ect.... disconnect the power and carefully inspect all you`re connections. if this doesnt work, check each of you`re connections at the outlet for proper voltage going in and out. test you`re grounds also and treat them as hot. test the light fixture the same way. you can also test (!safer!) for a short with the power off by setting you meter to ohms and testing at each connection. a 0 reading means the circuit is open/broken. a full reading means the circuit is closed. a partial reading might mean a bad connection or bad fixture/ outlet/ switch. i don`t feel good about giving out electrical advice but you`re already into it. so be safe and methodical. wouldn`t hurt to post how you hooked the circuit up. remember to test for ohms with the power off. p.s. a test light can be used in place of a meter. good luck and post again if this doesn`t help.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC