renovateyourworld.com > Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > converting inswing entrance door to outswing
Login | Register

converting inswing entrance door to outswing

Posted by physfit1 on August 14th, 2006 07:54 PM

0 of 1 people found this post helpful

Several years ago I saw a hinge set at local hardware store (Eagle Hardware in Anchorage, Alaska)that could be used to convert an inswinging entrance door to an outswinging type. It came with non-removable hinge pins and a "peg" that pushed into wood to prevent removal off door by screwdrivers. I went back to buy it but just before I returned the store was sold to Lowes (big box brand) and the hinges were removed and sent God knows where since Lowes wouldn't carry them any longer. I have visited several door sellers and they just say "replace the door;it's too much trouble trying to get the bevel on the door edges to accept the new swing direction and provide a tight seal at the same time". I don't want to throw out a solid wood carved door and spend hundreds of dollars to get an equivalent model. The old seals and stops need to be replaced anyway and I would rather get the hinges to reverse the swing direction, then deal with any weatherstripping problems. I want the door to swing out since it is safer in evacuation conditions (fire)so the rest of the family won't die being unable to get a collapsed family member or guest away from the swinging path of door if needing to open the door. It also allows more floor spacefor a shoe/boot storage bench in my front hallway. Living in a 1200sqft condo,I need all the space I can get! Has anyone out there seen any of these retrofitting hinges? I believe they use same holes as the present 4" hinges, but are longer to accomodate the change swing direction. Help!!!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2014 Renovate Your World LLC