> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Conversion of portable dishwashers to built-in
Login | Register

Conversion of portable dishwashers to built-in

Posted by Janet May on August 29th, 2002 08:43 AM

0 of 1 people found this post helpful

We have purchased an old home. It's approx. 57 to
60 years old. The house is in pretty good shape
for it's age, but it needs a lot of makeovers. We
had put these projects on hold until we paid off
the mortgage. We recently did that and are now in
the process of starting the remodeling projects.
We will be doing some of the work ourselves and
some will be done by professionals. Our first priorty is our kitchen. My husband and I both love
to cook and spend a lot of time together in the kitchen. I am a retired nurse, and my husband is employed in sales with a chemical company. I am,
by nature, a bit of a "neat freak". Our children are all grown (we have 4 sons, 1 daughter, and 4
grand children). Even though my husband and I are the only ones living in our home now, the kids and
grand kids visit often so we do a lot of cooking!
We have a KitchenAid portable dishwasher with a
butcherblock top. The dishwasher is in excellent
shape and serves us well. Our problem is that we
want to have a built-in dishwasher. The custom built kitchen cabinets we have are the original ones installed when the house was built and are only 34" high.We are having the cabinets refinished (they are stained, and we are having them painted white). The problem with buying and installing a new dishwasher is not with the width but with the height. We have searched and searched for a built-in that is less than 34" in
height, and they are all at least 34". We've done a lot of research and have been informed that portable dishwashers can be converted to a built-in with the aid of a plumber and a conversion kit.
Since we have been unable to find a new built-in or under the counter model that will fit the height of our kitchen cabinets, and since the portable one we have is in such great shape, our
question is would we be able to convert our portalbe dishwasher to an under the counter one, and if so, what do we need to do?? Any help with this delemna will be greatly appreciated.
Janet May (northern Louisiana)

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC