> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Conversion of portable dishwasher to built-in
Login | Register

Conversion of portable dishwasher to built-in

Posted by Janet May on August 30th, 2002 05:18 PM
In reply to Web Page Comments by Billy on August 29th, 2002 07:42 AM [Go to top of thread]

0 of 1 people found this post helpful

Thank you, Chris, and LJ in TX., for your advice
about converting the portable dishwasher to a built-in. We're meeting with a carpenter tomorrow
morning to discuss both ideas. LJ, I didn't mention what type countertops we have, but we are
installing new countertops, butcherblock, which is also what is on top of the portable dishwasher.
So your suggestion may be an alternative also. The
carpenter we are meeting with is the one who will be installing our new countertops. We will also be
meeting with our plumber next week, and maybe he will be able to shed some light on the matter, too. The measurement of the portable dishwasher from the top of the butcherblock to the bottom of the dishwasher is approx. 33" (a little less, I think), and the butcherblock top is nearly 2" thick. If we decide to go with Chris's idea and
remove the casing (which would include removing the butcherblock top), we may have enough room to
install the portable under the countertops. As I stated in my first message, my cabinet height is
about 32" and not the standard 36" that is used these days. I guess maybe when the cabinets were
built (50 plus years ago)the standard height may have been 32".
I really appreciate the advice from both of you. We had planned just to buy a new under the counter
model until we discovered that our cabinets were not up to today's standards. All the under the counter/built-in models are 34" or over, so that option wouldn't work. We're trying to make the best of a hard situation. We just want to modernize our new kitchen make-over as much as we
possibly can. We'll just have to see what works and go with that.
Janet in LA.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC