> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Contractor mistakes: What To Do
Login | Register

Contractor mistakes: What To Do

Posted by Carol on May 21st, 1998 11:15 AM

I would appreciate some input from someone who has had an experience similiar to what I'm about to explain or from a contractor. I want to be fair and I hate conflict with people. Maybe my expectations were too high.
I have been in the process of completely remodeling my living room and foyer. I have done all the prep work. It has taken me two months to strip all the wallpaper from the walls and ceilings, fix all cracks and corners, strip all the woodwork and wood floors.
I called in contactors who actively advertise in my community. I received estimates and chose one to paper my ceilings and walls. The paper I purchased for my ceiling is Anaglypta. It is an embossed wallcovering that is all paper and no vinyl. It is difficult to handle and that is why I hired a contractor.
He saw the paper before he took the job and said he had hung it before. It said in the directions not to roll, as it would affect the impression. After he papered the ceilings and I came home from work, he made the comment to me that the paper was a nightmare. He had never worked with paper like that before and he sure couldn't roll it. He went on to tell us what a deal we got on our estimate because it took him alot longer than he had planned. After he left, my husband and I were looking at the ceiling and we love the look, but you could tell the first two sheets he hung he rolled because the impressions were totally smashed. The next morning my husband pointed it out and asked him to replace them because it was so obvious. Which he did after our request but he didn't want to do it.
So when he did our walls in the living room, the paper had a match. He was concerned that I didn't have enough paper even though one month prior he had told me how much paper to order knowing the match repeat. So he laid the paper out on the floor showing me that it wouldn't be that noticeable if he didn't match, that you'd have to be a real professional to notice and you'd have to really study the paper. I agreed because of the fear of running out of paper and not being able to match up with another lot. I have to say with the paper up, I don't notice that it's not matched and its beautiful. But I have gobs of paper left over for that room and I know enough about papering that he had plenty to match. I truly feel he didn't want to take the time to match.
When he papered the foyer, he was done and gone when I came home from work. This paper had a couple of matches to look for. There was a mauve color design match but also a light gold and dark gold design match. Now he matched the mauve color but in 6 sheets he mismatched the gold, by lining up the lighter gold with the darker gold. I'm willing to live with the mismatch above my doorways, it's not eye level but the full sheets where you come right into our foyer our such a contrast with the rest of the wall. I worked so long and so hard preparing these areas that I am sick. I only have enough paper left over to fix one sheet.
He was to come back the next morning to pick up his sawhorses and scaffolding from my front porch. We were going to discuss with him at that time the problem in the foyer but six days have past and he still isn't here.
Please tell me what you would do if it were you?

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC