> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Contractor
Login | Register

Posted by JackD on May 9th, 2001 01:21 AM
In reply to running ductwork to 2nd story of old home by Chris K on May 7th, 2001 07:53 PM [Go to top of thread]

Chris, I applaud do-it-yourselfers for their willingness to tackle projects that would cause most people to hire a contractor or repairman. People who step out of their comfort zone and give it a try. However, there are times when a professional is advisable for safety or comfort. Sizing duct work is one of those times. To get proper air flow to all rooms, numerous things need to be considered. Things such as how much loss you're going to get through a run, how many elbows are involved, branch connections, location of outlets and returns, static pressures, sizes of rooms, duct sizing, balancing, etc. Retro-fitting a house presents it's own special problems too, depending on the house. That's assuming that the air handler will handle it. I will give you this advice. If you hire a contractor and he comes out, looks the site over and says you need a 8" duct there and a 4" duct here, send him on his way. He's either extremely good and expensive or extremely foolish. Or he's been working for builders too long. Since you're a determined do it yourselfer, I'm sure you could get air to all the rooms somehow, but if comfort and efficiency are a priority, I'd go with the pro. Those are just my thoughts. I'm sure there'll be others coming along soon so stick around. There might be other options too. Good luck

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC