Hi, Steve. And thanks for John2000's faith in me but somebody already suggested what I was going to suggest which is Goo Gone. I guess that you can use about any petroleum solvent but the more active one you choose, the more of a fire or explosion hazard that you will have. Paint thinner/mineral spirits is a good choice, too. It is a little slower acting than a more volatile product but less of a fire or explosion hazard.
Steve, if you go with one of these, be sure that you are far away from your furnace and water heater and you have no pilot light if you have an older gas stove. Also watch out for any electric motors including fans. Do as much as possible outside and only work with the volatile solvents when you can open a window or 2.