> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > contact city inspector
Login | Register

contact city inspector

Posted by bc on July 6th, 2000 11:25 AM
In reply to Wiring a Hot Tub by Mike on July 5th, 2000 07:38 PM [Go to top of thread]

Contact your city inspector and get the contractor back if the inspector doesn't approve. I don't have the NEC in front of me now, but it has always been my understanding that the disconnect and/or any receptacles must be at least 5' "away" and within sight of the tub. The sight requirement is so if someone gets caught underwater, the disconnect can be found in an emergency. I believe your installation is in violation but the inspection department has the final say and they may interpret it differently. For sure you want the receptacles over 5' away so you can't plug something in that would easily reach the tub.

The use of GFCI breakers at the main panel and the disconnect may be overkill and a cause for nuisance breaker trips. You only need one and electricians like to install them at the disconnect, with a regular one at the main panel, to avoid nuisance trips because of voltage buildups over the long distance from the main panel to the tub.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC