> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Consumer Report
Login | Register

Consumer Report

Posted by Henry in MI on October 14th, 2000 08:55 AM
In reply to If prep is the key... by Joe on October 14th, 2000 06:56 AM [Go to top of thread]

Joe, I am sure that there is nothing wrong with the Wal-Mart paint and if you are happy with it, then more power to you.

Part of the problem with mass market brands is that you really have nobody to help you if you have problems. I have had problems with a major retailer's paint. They wanted samples and I had plenty of flakes to give them. After 2 weeks, I got a report that the problem was bad prep work. Sorry, but that was not the case. They would replace the paint but I have to scrape all of their bad stuff off, sand, reprime, and then repaint with the same paint that gave problems to begin with. No way.

I would like to tell you how the independent store would handle the problem---but I haven't had any problems with their Benj. Moore. When I talk to them, they understand what I am talking about. I am not talking to an 18 year old kid that will be selling TVs tomorrow. I let them tell me how to prep and what to use for the prep. I know that there are different UPC codes for the same trade name and brand of paint sold by the mass merchandisers and the independent stores. I know that the paint sold by the mass merchandisers is generally lower quality than that sold by the independents so that they can get the lower price. I see the reports of big problems with the designer brands sold by the mass merchandisers here on this board. My independent says that they can color match to the designer paint and I know that they will tell me things to watch out for.

Joe, I am not denegrating you, your choice of paint, Wal-Mart or Consumer Report in any way. The original poster asked for opinions, I gave him mine and you gave him yours. That's fair. isn't it? Heck, I know that JayJ--Moderator has a favorite local brand and I could not give you an opinion on it since it isn't sold in this area.

Henry in MI

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC