> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > construction crews
Login | Register

construction crews

Posted by bc on January 27th, 2000 02:20 PM
In reply to LJ does not know every thing by RK in Tx. on January 26th, 2000 12:14 PM [Go to top of thread]

I'm sorry if you took offense but I'm not sure why as nothing was directed against you. I'm doubly sorry you didn't read everything close enough and then blamed it on LJ. I'm new on this site but I would like to offer any knowledge I may have to others since it is others who helped me learn. My comments about construction crews was meant to be general in nature and definitely not against you personally as I don't even know you. I do know there is an industry wide problem with help and if you visit with enough contractors you will know this. That was said after waiting at a jobsite with the GC at 9:00 a.m. for one of his crews that was late because they decided to tie one on the night before. (don't take offense, I'm not referring to you) I also don't blame construction workers for having overzealous cops who like to stake out bars and pickup out of town workers after hours nor do I blame them cause the overzealous cops have motel operators and maids turning people in everytime they get a whiff of wacky tobacky in a room that was occupied by an out of town construction worker. These are more societal problems that many contractors and every other business owner I know have to deal with but you can thank the stars that you don't have those problems in Texas. I'd apologize to anyone else, and especially Texans who may have taken offense. You've probably heard the joke about why it is so windy in Oklahoma so I won't go into it.

My and other people I know, experience with siding is that the siding seller pays a subcontract crew so much a square and extra for wrapping windows without negotiation. Either do it or they get someone else. We found you had to do a house in 2 or 3 days or you lost money. There was not enough being paid to stay in business long term with all the expenses, weather delays, etc. involved. Most profit was going to the siding seller. I never worked for sears so I don't know what they offer. Don't take offense because it surely was not your crew, but I know an elderly couple nearby(one is now deceased) where sears sided their house and the crew sided over the big rectangular attic vent in the gable. By the time they figured out that they were having moisture problems in the attic, the crew was long gone and sears wouldn't do anything.

RK, you indicated below that you worked for sears for 10 years. Is that as a salesman or installer? What kind of crew turnover do you have?

You indicated that your good siding goes for $65.00 a square plus extras. I ask that you respond to what pfick was asking below. He had a house with 31 squares and 13 windows to wrap. Sears quoted $32,000.00 (about $1032 per square). After sears applied their "gracious" discounts, that left $25,000.00 (about $806 per square) Now deduct $65 for siding and (let's say) $35 for misc, that is $100 per square leaving a margin of $706 per square or a total of $21,900. Now please explain how much sears, the salesman, and the installers each put in there pocket per square out of the balance. Since you have 10 years with sears, it would be more accurate for you to lay out, (instead of using my estimates), all of the costs, siding, underlayment, window wrapping, installation, etc. and then tell who gets how much profit.

I am not trying to get into a war with you, I would just like to help out pfick who posted a question below and like the others said above, please offer your expertise to other posters on this board. Regards, bc

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC