> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Consider this...
Login | Register

Consider this...

Posted by TomR on November 8th, 1999 10:56 PM
In reply to SMART WIRING by greg on November 8th, 1999 01:13 PM [Go to top of thread]

A smart house to me would be one that would not let my kids back in after they turn 18.

In all seriousness, you need to figure that whatever you use, it will probably be obsolete in 7 years or less. This means that, unless you move before then, your best bet is to provide access channels to/from every room in the house, or at least the rooms you expect will need access to advanced electronic features. Like the other writer mentioned, having empty conduit or other passages will allow you future expansion or change.

Smart Wire is great for now, but the use of twisted paired wire is fast becoming standard, which, in the high-technology business, means itís a middle-aged product. Category-5 (CAT-5) wire is what I used, but even that will be replaced within 3 years with affordable fiber-optic, then infrared, each with a different cable requirement. Your only break will be in 10-15 years when micro-wireless technology comes into the residential scene. Then cable, itself, will become obsolete.

Remember, the only constant in our world today, is change.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC