> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Congoleum floor 'puffing' up
Login | Register

Congoleum floor 'puffing' up

Posted by Dolores bertrand on November 11th, 2002 03:18 PM
In reply to Attaching plywood over particle board subfloor by Skip Hudspeth on September 27th, 2002 09:05 AM [Go to top of thread]

I just had congoleum installed in my living room. I live in a mobile home; have particle board flooring - the flooring contractor said he could not put congoleum on particle board. So, Lowe's had him put 1/4" 'pine' plywood over it. He put nails (rinkshank, I think; at least that's what it sounded like he said) in (I watched) every 4-6 inches over every sheet of plywood. Then he spread mud; let it dry for 24 hours then scraped it and applied a second coat and let it set for another 18-20 hours. Then he laid the congoleum, using a water base glue. By the time he finished this 13.2 x 21' room there were 3 or 4 raised areas in the congoleum. He said it was the nails coming loose; he also said he told Lowes he would not guarantee the floor. My question is: Is that a logical expectation from that kind of floor (congoleum) laid on plywood over particle board? Or is it possible he did not put enough glue and it is just the congoleum turning loose? I'm not beating up on Lowes because they said they will tear it out and put whatever I want, but I like this floor and don't want to have to use carpet. Lowes did tell me they had seen this before and that in some cases it got worse and in some the floor settled back down and laid flat....

Comments - I would certainly appreciate.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC