> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Concrete garage needs resurfacing
Login | Register

Concrete garage needs resurfacing

Posted by Joe on November 8th, 1997 01:55 PM

My garage floor is having problems. It seems that the garage floor did not set properly during construction. After we moved in, the floor was very dusty. Figuring it was new I dismissed it as residue and proceeded to stain the floor with an acrylic concrete stain. The stain lasted for a while, but then started to come up, especially where the car wheels would sit. We contacted the builder who said they would be able to pour over the concrete to resurface the floor, but the stain would have to be removed.

My questions are:
1. What is the best way to remove the stain? It is a two car garage and would be a sizable task to use a chemical solvent. Is there any mechanical way to remove the stain? Since the underlying concrete is so loose, is there a way to grind or sand it off?
2. What thickness would have to be poured to reliably solve the problem? If they pour it too thin, will it crack and break apart under the weight of the cars? If it is too thick, it will be too high above the driveway (it is already about 1.5 inches). Should the garage floor be "ground down" in some fashion to allow for a thicker pour to maintain a reasonable height?

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC