> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Concrete floor finishing
Login | Register

Concrete floor finishing

Posted by Henry in MI on May 18th, 2001 06:33 PM
In reply to Painting/Staining concrete.....HELP!!! by Tracy on May 17th, 2001 02:50 PM [Go to top of thread]

On one of the TV show series with Dean Johnson where they were building the large spec house on the small lake, they put a 2 part epoxy painted floor in the garage. As I recall, they gently scattered fine sand across it before it set up. They may or may not have etched the floor before the epoxy and they may or may not have done a second coat. Sorry, I just don't remember the details. But if this floor would have been tough enough to stand the cold of a Minnesota winter and water from melted snow, maybe with salt in it, and rain that the car would bring into the garage, it should be able to handle more in a milder climate.

Tracy, I know that this is not much to go on but perhaps it is enough for you to start searching. Many of the machine shops around here have epoxy painted concrete floors to keep oil from soaking into the concrete. My guess is that this is relatively expensive to do but not too difficult for someone with some D-I-Y experience.

Tracy, if you find something that looks promising, and you can find a source for it in your area, you might ask the source for a reference of someone who has had it in place for a while in a similar environment to yours. You certainly can and should "qualify" a product the same way you "qualify" a professional in the trades. Asking a lot of questions now is easier and cheaper than trying to fix a problem installation a few years down the line.

Henry in MI

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC