> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > concrete exterior columns
Login | Register

concrete exterior columns

Posted by Suzanne on September 27th, 2000 11:03 PM
In reply to installing precast colums by Mark H on September 27th, 2000 10:41 AM [Go to top of thread]

I just had a concrete column put around the 4 x 4 post on my porch, along with about 85' of balustrades. This is what they used: 'Quikrete' concrete bonding adhesive, 'Lapis Luster' clean-graded-kiln dried Monterey sand and 'Basalite' Type 1-11 cement. (sorry for using brand names, but I just took the information from the bags sitting in my front yard). I don't know the exact mixture other than it was quite stiff. Since the column was put on the existing concrete porch, that was the foundation. The mixture was placed at the bottom and up the sides. After they pressed them together they used two straps, one top and one bottom, to secure and pull the two pieces together. They leveled and straightened the pieces before the straps were tightened all the way. They will be back next week to finish up, so if you like I will watch closely to see how much of each product was used for their mixture.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC