> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > concrete driveways
Login | Register

concrete driveways

Posted by Rob on July 27th, 1998 09:36 PM
In reply to More ... by Jay J on July 27th, 1998 08:31 AM [Go to top of thread]

1 of 1 people found this post helpful

Jay J
Concrete driveways need to meet the following specs, which are according to ACI (American Concrete Institute)
Yes Jay J I am ACI certifided.
the base should be be consistant for a depth of 8". This does not mean it has to be crushed stone, washed stone,or a manufactured product, it just has to be consistant .
the depth of the concrete will be 4", reinforced with fibers. These are made from polyproplyne.
air entrainment will be 7%
control joints need to be cut so the sections are no bigger than 12x12. The cut should be 1/4 the thickness of the concrete slab.
a sealer needs to be applied for curing.
the design mix must be at least 4000lb.
A driveway placed in this manner I would place for 2.50 sq' not including preparing the subgrade.
the reason the spillway does not curl (not buckle) is because of the control joints.Take a sponge that dries out on the sink the edges curl because they dry faster than
the center. The smaller the sections the less curl.
durability and non maintance is the issue, with that comes value, value is relative to the individual. If you get a ford pinto at a good price is it a good value?
To me vynil is not a good value even though it is somewhat maintance free.
I build concrete homes from the curb to the roof. My homes (2000-3000 sq') in cold climates have fuel bills less than $30 per month.
Is that value?
I build these homes for no more than it costs to build a 2x6 framed house.
My homes sell for more because they cost less to own and maintain. Better value.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC