> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > concrete driveways
Login | Register

concrete driveways

Posted by Rob Dykeman on March 6th, 1998 08:40 PM
In reply to Clarification ... by Jay J on March 6th, 1998 06:22 PM [Go to top of thread]

Quality concrete is the same if if is for a highway or if it is for a walkway. The placement of the concrete with fibers -no steel trowel- proper sealing- minimum 4000lb psi
A highway will be thicker concrete, but the formular is the same. The key to success with concrete IS proper placement and the correct mix design. The truth is mix design could be done is simple it is just ratios- the placement is where concrete fails.
A contractor doesn't want to wheel the concrete what does he do? add water quality goes down the tube. If we are dealing with exterior concrete cracking -spaling- failure is the result.
The Romans where the first to use admixture to concrete design. They used horse blood. It made the concrete more flowable without adding water(which weakens design mix)The concrete was easy to move (flowable) but had proper water to cement ratio for strength.
This is why the coliseum has a reddish / or brown tinge to it, because of the admixture(blood)
Asphalt contractors have a good thing. They do a driveway and it last 5-10 years then they do it agian - job security
They don't like concrete - concrete will last forever (or at least longer than you or I)
When we do concrete it is art not just something to park your car on.
And you are right you don't want to debate concrete with me But I would love to with an asphalt guy
You are also correct when you say it is a competitive market. I can not compete with asphalt cost to cost - I'm more expensive- until the first time you have to seal or maintain that drive and if you do it every year like the asphalt driveway manuel says you should by the end of the fifth year I'm putting money in your pocket.
YES I AM A CONCRETE HEAD and I do know concrete and what it will do. I hope I haven't stirred up too much.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC