> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > concrete driveways
Login | Register

concrete driveways

Posted by Rob Dykeman on March 6th, 1998 05:36 PM
In reply to Depends ... by Jay J on March 6th, 1998 08:16 AM [Go to top of thread]

Jay J, Jay J, Jay J

Concrete does not fail in cold / or extreme weather. Concrete placed properly will last virtually forever. (Check out the Roman coliseum) Exterior flat work can be found in every climate. I live in NH and place concrete for driveways - patios - pool decks - walk ways - or where ever you would like. The NH and Maine DOT have speced out thousands of sq' concrete for median strips - intersections - high traffic parking lots and the list goes on and on. The perception that concrete does not work in the cold climates comes from the poor placement techniques of contractors. properly placed exterior concrete should be 4000lb psi minimun. and NOT finished with a STEEL trowel. Finishing techniques can range from broom finishes to magnesium trowel finish to colored or stamped finishes. Concrete placed properly will last almost forever. There should be no maintance of the concrete driveway, unlike its counterpart asphalt, which will require sealing and/or replacement within the first five years. There is much info on this subject and I can give you a couple of web sites to visit
Tom Davis who maintains this site is a great source of info on exterior concrete

American Concrete Institute has a web site I not sure what the address is

Portland Cement Association has a site

All of these sites can give info on the subject. Concrete will cost you a little more but if you use asphalt you will spend the same amount with in the first five years just in maintance. Contact your local concrete guy who is ACI certified and he will tell you about the Blue Ribbon Driveway Program. This guarentees a concrete driveway from cracks or spaling in the first five yaers. Get an asphalt guy to that.
Go with concrete and go with an ACI certified installer. Its your driveway you deserve quality that will last under any condition.

PLEASE anyone who has comments feel free to contact me I will put you in contact with someone in your area who is capable of PLACING quality concrete.

Rob Dykeman

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC