> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Concrete basement floor - Leveling and fastening
Login | Register

Concrete basement floor - Leveling and fastening

Posted by Bob on January 26th, 2003 11:15 AM

We are semi-finishing the basement: only scrubbing and painting the walls (no studwork on them), scrubbing and painting the floor and putting in area rugs here and there.

I am building a wall only for the area that will hide the furnace and hot water heater. I have two problems.

In using shims and scraps of wood to level the floor in this section (so that I can install a door that provides access to these and other appliances) I end up with a floor stud that is about 3" thick now (the original 2x4 and the added thickness of the shims, etc.) and impossible to fasten to the concrete floor. I used a $70 Remington power hammer with .22 caliber loads and 3" nails (I can't find any longer nails)that I bought from Home Depot. The nails don't penetrate the concrete without bending the nails. As a result, I have wasted a lot of time and money with spent .22 caliber loads and fasteners.

I am considering two options: (1) Resort to drilling a hole in the stud and cement, inserting a lag shield, and securing the whole thing with bolts. (2) Rent a more potent power tool.

Any suggestions or help with these two options or any others? Thanks.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

• Shims by David  1/26/03 12:52 PM

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC