> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Concerns ...
Login | Register

Concerns ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on October 22nd, 2001 08:26 AM
In reply to DONNA,STEVE, and JAY J. by Ron J. on October 22nd, 2001 07:44 AM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Ron,

Now it's getting technical. In short, non-friable material containing asbestos MAY be removed by a non-licensed individual (such as a homeowner.) FRIABLE asbestos most definitely should be removed by a licensed abatement contractor.

Assuming that what you're talking about is piping that's wrapped with FRIABLE asbestos, it needs to be professionally removed. The BEST thing to do is to check w/your local Municipality as to what should be done. (In this case, check w/the Municipality in which the home resides.) They may forward you to the County EPA, who may forward you to the State EPA, who may forward you to the Federal EPA. All everyone is doing is covering their butt. You can get brochures on this topic from one of the aforementioned entities. If, at all, you're unsure of what to do, err on the side of caution and have a professional do the work. Hence, you'll need a quote for BOTH removal AND disposal. (If you do it yourself, you'll need a quote for disposal.)

Continuing w/my assumption ... You'll want a quote from a licensed abatement contractor as mentioned. Either that $$$ should be put in escrow or it should be deducted from the agreed price of the home. Have you retained legal counsel yet to work in YOUR interest??? Please, don't let the seller's Realtor 'guide' you. Get your own professional advice. So, you have some work to do. Weigh this in your decision to proceed or pass.

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -Moderator

PS: God Bless America!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

  • More ... by Jay J -Moderator  10/22/01 09:26 AM
  • J.J. by Donna  10/22/01 11:55 AM

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC