> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Computer Woes ...
Login | Register

Computer Woes ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on November 11th, 2002 09:21 AM
In reply to I'm Back! by Jason on November 11th, 2002 08:35 AM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Jason,

Yes, I passed the last test about 2 weeks ago. I'm officially an MCSE (whatever that means. ;-) ) But can he 'fight'??!

Anyways, I've learned that there's so, SO much that I don't know. It's like the problem du-jour, ya know. I do an awful lot of reading because I haven't seen an awful lot of 'repeat' problems. 90% of the time, the problem du-jour is new.

I hear ya about the EMail woes. I have some thoughts based on what you're doing now ... There really isn't much you can do with regards to preventing your Server from getting spam. All you can do is try to 'redirect' it to La-la Land or to a separate folder for review (from which you'll delete it later.) YES, most definitely, scan for those attachments that can be 'launched' by someone double-clicking them! .vbs, .exe, and so on, should be blocked, outright! If you need a list of attachments to block, let me know and I'll get that for ya.

RE: Zone Alarm - You need to step back and look at the configuration of your Router, and/or your Firewall, and/or your Server. Depending, you can filter certain traffic in and out. I'm not very familiar w/all that because it's almost an expertise in its own. Most folks spend a few 100 $$$s and hire a Security Expert to 'snif' their network and do an evaluation. It can be expensive but you'll have to weigh that with what it might cost you in lost business, damage, and the like. Unfortunately, it's an item that gets pushed back until it's too late. Don't let the ZA alarms, alarm you. Most of the alarms are port-probes. If you want to know what the alarms are about, you'll have to research them. ALso, they could be just pings, or the like. ZA wants you to know that their software is working. And sometimes, they do it in a way that can cause you unnecessary heart-aches. Most firewall products come pre-configured with basic 'blocking software'. It's when you add services like mail, WEB, and so on, that the Firewall blocks need to be updated. Again, this is where the Security Expert comes in. IMO, it's $$$ well spent.

If you need more info, write me at MoneoJay at comcast

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -Moderator

PS: I've been spending my time, recently, on the New BBS. I do keep my eye on this one but I'm not posting here as much as I am there. It seems that the folks over there need some 'help' ...

PPS: God Bless America!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC