> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > comments...
Login | Register

Posted by jb on September 12th, 2000 01:41 PM
In reply to More than one way to skin a... by Dodgeman on September 12th, 2000 12:36 PM [Go to top of thread]

Your construction is stronger than most I have seen that incorporate foam INSTEAD of sheathing. Your house might even be stronger than a regular sheathed house, depending on how your ext. sheathing is fastened. Also, I have found that the shape of the house has a lot to do with its stability using these techniques. The worst one I ever encountered was a 2x6, metal t braced, no sheathing, 2" celotex contemporary house. This house was 2 floors with some cathedral spaces and some slightly odd, contempo shape/plan. I remember being up in the roof setting rafters and a guy jumped off the last step of a ladder on to the second floor deck 40 feet away and the whole house jiggled and shook, it was pretty bad. If the house is relatively small and rectangular, ok, but if it is large, open and odd shaped I don't think it is good at all. While your framing technique sound strong indeed, wouldn't it take a lot less labor and save money to just build the house with 2x8 or 2x10 studs instead of going through all of this? I definately agree that plywood on the outside is a good idea since the siding can then be nailed not just on the studs and the walls will be less wavy. If fastened with large nails I believe the wind load rating is pretty high.

Note: One thing for people to watch out for, in general, is that the pressure on the air nailers isn't set too high when nailing on sidewall sheathing. If the nails end up being sunk half way through the plywood then the shear strength of the wall is significantly compromised. It is best that the heads are on the surface and not countersunk. - Just an F.Y.I. ...

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC