> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Cold Room Over Garage Advise
Login | Register

Cold Room Over Garage Advise

Posted by Bob Davis on January 15th, 2001 11:45 AM

5 of 9 people found this post helpful

Hi All!

I am building a new house in Wisconsin and have been having a hard time deciding what to do about insulating a bedroom over my garage. I have a neighbor that has a bedroom over his garage that he says is always cold. I would like to avoid this in my house.

Here is what I have so far:
-double car garage with R38 in the floor above the garage and below the bedroom.
-the bedroom exterior walls are insulated with R19.
-the ceiling above the bedroom is blown in insulation with a R38 value.
-the bedroom has 2 heat ducts into it both run through the floor and up in front of the 2 rather large windows. Unfortunately they are very long runs (~70 feet from the furnace). The runs are well insulated.
-the windows are Pella double insulated which are facing NW.

Could you please give me your professional opinions on whether I should add the following:

1)under the R38 in the floor I could also add 1 1/2 inches of Styrofoam with an R value of 7.2. Would adding the additional 7.2 R's help or do you think I am past the point of diminishing returns on the floor insulation?
2)the garage is insulated with R13 and has natural gas run to it for running a garage heater on days that I want to work there. I could continually heat the garage to some "medium" temperature. Would this be economical or a waist of money?

Thanks in advance for the advice!!!!!!!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC