> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Cold Room additions!
Login | Register

Cold Room additions!

Posted by Kris on January 26th, 2003 01:10 AM

I just bought a house that has had two bedrooms added over a crawl space (the rest of the house is over a basement). When we moved in we realized that these two bedrooms stay cold all of the time. I had a heating contractor come out and he said that the duct work running to these room where not installed properly. He tore out the old ductwork and replaced it. The air flow was better after replacing the ductwork, but the rooms still remain cold, when the rest of the house is comfortable. I have tried turning off the dampers in the comfortable rooms--it still doesn't work. The thermostat is located at the front of the house and the cold bedrooms are in back. Also in both bedrooms the registers are located near the bedroom doors, which I understand is not the best place and that they should be under a window away from the door. My question is would it help to move the thermostat to a more "central" location or have another register installed in both of the bedrooms away from the doors? Should I try some sort of supplemental heating system? Or do you have any other suggestion that might help? I don't know about insulation, but the home has all new vinyl double pane windows and a new roof. The bedrooms also have cold air returns. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated....we're freezing!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC