> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Codes again.
Login | Register

Codes again.

Posted by JackD on January 30th, 2001 03:34 PM
In reply to garage electrical wiring by bdc on January 29th, 2001 10:47 PM [Go to top of thread]

Bdc, If you've read any of my previous post, I probably sound like a broken record. As evidenced in a later post city inspectors don't care what the code book says. They rule! I would check with the local authority about the molding. As far as I know, you don't have to have any outlets in the garage but if you do they must be protected by GFCI's. Interior living areas should have a receptical every 6 feet but you can have as many as your wiring and circuit breaker can safely handle. Resources on line aren't going to help you if your approving authority doesn't like it. If you're not under an approving authority and do the work anyway and ever sell your house AND it's inspected by the buyer, you could be asked to remove it if it isn't up to code. Or possibly scare a buyer off because he's wondering what else you might have done to the house. And the city inspector will be happy to tell you what the rules are even if he doesn't have approving authority. If you have to permit the job, get the inspector to tell you how many outlets you can put on what size wire and what size circuit breaker. And, please, make them your friends. Things will go a lot smoother.
That's what I would do and have done in the past and have never been sorry. BTW, what's wrong with the wiring that you have now? Good luck.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC