renovateyourworld.com > Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Cobblewood floor
Login | Register

Cobblewood floor

Posted by Blythe Barber on August 30th, 2002 09:11 PM
In reply to The elusive cobblewood floor by Terry on January 2nd, 1998 04:32 PM [Go to top of thread]

Here is some info I dug up...

I believe the problem is "oil based adhesive" not "oil based sealer".
Does this make sense?

Blythe

Subject: cobblewood tiles
Date: 27-Aug-00

I saw a floor made from crosscuts of a log and would like very much to know the best wood, adhesive and protection for such a floor. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: RE: cobblewood tiles
Date: 11-Jan-01

I just saw a show and they did a kitchen floor with the cobblewood tiles ( jan 11 2001 ) Adhesive was an oil based flooring adheasive They used an oil based varnish for the finish. Stated that is should be varnished every year or so. Waxed about every couple months.

I was looking for the type of wood useed as well hope i was helpfull

Trevor

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 11-Jan-01

Kaswell & Co., Inc. of Framington, MA manufactures a crosscut wood tile that you may find interesting. Go to http://www.kaswell.com/ for info.

Sohm Flooring Consultants http://www.nebsnow.com/SohmFlooringConsultants

Date: 21-Mar-01

I saw on tradeing places where this type of floor was being made from 4X4 or 6X6 cut 1/2 inch thick.After cutting they hand sanded the egdges. They did not caculate right and came up short on flooring so they did not use. I want to make a floor useing 6X6 but do not know how to attach or grout. Have any tips

Date: 01-Apr-01

If you guys go to renovateyourworld.com there is a small topic on cobblewood floors under the FAQ section explaining that tile is 5/8 in. thick and that grout is 2 parts sawdust to 1 part fast drying oil based sealer. hope this helps.

Date: 07-May-01

Here is a website link describing a grouting material for end-block flooring that is made of granulated natural cork and special binders.

http://www.corktech.com/

Date: 04-Feb-02

We are stuck on the grout for this floor. Does anyone have suggestions on a brand name for the oil-based sealer to be used in the grout? The materials we have tried have not hardened properly when mixed with the 2 parts sawdust. Any help would be appreciated! Robin

Date: 12-Feb-02
<

As far as the oil based sealant, there was no mention of the brand name. As far as you are saying with the 2 parts saw dust and sealant...it sounds to me that you are mixing the grout. The sealant would be applied after the grout is dry, probably in 24-48 hours and you wouldn't mix it with anything. Check out www.renovateyourworld.com!

Date: 10-Jun-02

We are considering doing our driveway in cobblewood. We live in the Gulf Islands and have an abundance of Douglas fir available. Does anyone have any ideas how to protect the wood without contaminating the ground with toxic chemicals?

Date: 12-Jun-02

I have a protectant that will protect your floor with a high gloss and it is guaranteed for five years. It never has to be stripped or waxed. Brent Bacon 309-648-5029

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC