> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > CO detector????
Login | Register

CO detector????

Posted by Jim -ATS on June 18th, 2000 04:08 PM
In reply to black on the walls above baseboard gas heat by herb on June 18th, 2000 03:00 PM [Go to top of thread]

The situation you describe makes me think that the black marks are caused by exhaust air from the natural gas heaters. You don't say how old they are, and I am not familiar with the type of heater you are describing, but black marks are typically either from soot from the exhaust (from a cracked heat exchanger in your case...) or from too much heat over time "cooking" the walls, which doesn't make sense given the "black" marks you describe as opposed to a gradual browning.

Do you have a carbon monoxide detector? Any home with a combustable heat source like natural gas for either the furnace, baseboard heat, or water heater should also have a carbon monoxide detector. Invest the $40 in one, and instead of just installing it, try setting it near each of your heaters and see if it goes off.

I suspect you may be due for a visit from your HVAC contractor.

Good luck to you...

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC