> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Clothes Dryer Vent flooded
Login | Register

Clothes Dryer Vent flooded

Posted by Melissa on February 27th, 2003 11:29 AM

Our house is built on a concrete slab with the laundry room being sort of in the center of the house. The clothes dryer vent tubing goes under the house and runs under the floor for about 15 or 20 feet to the outside of the house. The place that it comes out is below ground level and a little well of some sorts was built to give the dryer vent an outlet. The problem is that the well collects water whenever a heavy rain hits us. As of right now, the well is half full of water and water is backing up into the tubing that leads into my house and to the dryer. This could be a very dangerous situation and is obviously a mistake in the design of the house. We didn't notice this problem before we bought the house and even the inspector did not bring it to our attention.

We've only lived here for a few months and this is the second time for this to happen. The first time we used a sump pump to get the water out of the well and we built a little roof like structure to cover the well from direct rain but that doesn't keep the ground water from seeping in. I need a permanent fix for this problem and am looking for ideas.

One idea I've had is to seal up the existing vent and reroute the dryer vent but don't know how that would be done. All the walls surrounding the laundry room lead to other rooms in my house except for one that leads to the garage but I can't very well have the dryer vent emptying into my garage.

Any ideas??

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC