> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Closet Shelves
Login | Register

Closet Shelves

Posted by Henry in MI on July 29th, 1998 04:57 PM
In reply to Wire vs. Melamine shelving/pros and cons. by Jennifer on July 29th, 1998 03:48 PM [Go to top of thread]

I can't really say much about wire shelves but I can tell you from experience that either plywood or particle board shelves will sag over time. Sven's molding on plywood will take longer to sag and he is on the right track. What is required for sagless shelves is a solid wood piece on the front large enough to offer more support than just the molding. I use a piece of fairly decent 1 x 2 (3/4 x 1-1/2" actual) glued and nailed on the front in an L shape with the short leg down. If you have 1 x 2 around the 3 closet walls, you will have sagless shelves forever. If you wish, you can cover with melamine, break the corners or route decorative curves into the 1 x 2, stain it and paint or stain the plywood, etc. If you find a stock molding that you like, use that, but it really should be bigger that just 3/4" wide molding. If you are going to stain, clear pine is OK but if you are going to paint then a few small knots should not be a problem.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC