> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > cleaning antiques
Login | Register

cleaning antiques

Posted by N Woods on August 24th, 2000 05:56 AM

While cleaning out my mother in laws home after she passed away in May, we found a lot of old antiques from
thunder mugs to old.....frames. One special one that we would like to clean up is where we need help. I started today with Formsbes refinisher, I applied it to the out side flat service which looks like oak, Im not good on wood types at all, it cleaned well, but there are real fine carvings inside the center near the glass, with what looks
like gold leafed or painte 1/4 round or what ever, and more detailed carvings. Some of the refinisher was applied to this carving and it looks almost yellowish, clear so I am thinking it is not wood but yet I don't know. How do I clean this raised portion along with the carvings below this? This frame is about 20x20 or so. Also found an old mirror, which you can hardly see yourself anylonger, painted I am taking the paint off, but is this worth more if I leave the old mirror in, as the back is wood covering the glass. With a lot of wood antiques is this the best item to use to clean the wood or is there something better? I have asked most likely to many questions but I really need help, if you can help me with the Large frame This would be worth a million to us.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC